Though popularly known as the Christian feast of ‘All Hallows,’ which is celebrated on 31st October on the eve of All Saints day, historians believe that Halloween evolved from the Celtic harvest festival. The day 31st October sees the end of the harvest festival and the beginning of the winter and thus morbidly signifying the bridge between the living and the dead. The winters which were considered as the ‘darker half’ of the year, considering the fact that many people and cattle lost their lives to freezing temperatures was signified by a bonfire on the day of Halloween, where they believed that the dead would once again pay them a visit as the ritual underwent. This once pagan ritual, in which people would clad themselves in costumes that would represent the dead, zombies or ghouls was soon commercialized by the west and is now more like comic con, losing the actual essence of the festival. Citizen today across the globe probably have no clue of the significance and origin of the festival resulting in the watered down celebration with fancy costumes mimicking famous people and candy treats. For those who do know, the morbid essence of the festival is sustained and their costumes say it all. Apart from just the costumes, the make-up is possibly the most important criteria. Bad make-up or rather no make-up can make or break a costume. Imagine dressing as a zombie or the joker and not implementing the ‘shock’ effect of the make-up. Make-up artists today thrive during this morbid feast and have evolved in leaps and bounds to bring the morbid theme to realism with their special techniques. By using the general make-up, prosthetic masks and latex molds, make-up artists have taken the festival to the darker side with their creativity and we have chosen 25 such make-up looks that will totally creep you out. If this doesn’t scare you nothing will, and if it does then maybe you will give a few of these designs a shot this month end.
1. Wrapped in gauze painted bloody red to suit the morbid theme, this silent nurse costume is bound to frighten any passerby on the last day of October. To add to the creepiness of the costume, do not forget the green contact lenses which add a supernatural touch to it.
2. If your wish is to get heads turned by passersby then this zombie nurse costume consisting of a blood red hued prosthetic mask and coagulated blood smeared on the body will do just that. To add to the intensity of the costume get your hands on a fake gun-shot injection and a bloody nurse outfit.
3. If you desire to look like an impaled vampire, this should be your go-to look. Dapple the areas around your eyes with red which only adds to the focus on your completely black retina which is accomplished by colored contact lenses. Use make up for the veins which exemplify the impaled look and color the teeth to make them seem pointy through those off colored lips.
4. Mother of three, 33-year-old Nikki Shelley initially started face painting as a hobby but her natural touch saw her become famous through her Facebook page ‘ The Painting Lady’ which garnered fans instantly across the globe. She experiments with her own face most of the time and does wonders just using face paint and nothing else to add to the effects.
5. A produce of Nikki yet again, her rendition of the joker just by using face paint will certainly grab the attention you need this Halloween.
6. A sight that will make anyone purge, this costume representing the dead will scare the daylights out of anyone. Apart from using make-up around the eyes and mouth, using several coats of liquid latex and blow drying it in between every coat will help you attain this finish. Once the latex is dried you can alter it to get this finish as you brush red blood hue on it to make it as gore as you can imagine.
7. A look from a sanguinary campaign that resulted in one’s eyes gorged out, this costume which looks like blood flowing from the gauze covering the sockets will certainly give a few Halloween party goers goosebumps.
8. If your choice is to use a rather simple yet effective make-up approach for Halloween, then this zombie look which requires a dabble of purple around the eyes and black around the mouth is all that is needed. To make the sight even more electrifying then resort to using the white-dotted contact lens.
9. Brush your skin through a mesh with a blueish hue to get the seen finish in the picture. Use liquid latex on the cheek to form fake skin which the metal ring will go through. Use blood red to color the fake skin on the check to give it that perfect Halloween finish.
10. Pranking someone on this harvest feast with this zombie prosthetic mask is sure to light up your mood, not the victim of your prank though. Wear blur-cataract looking-blue lenses under this prosthetic mask to complete the deal. Use liquid latex to modify the look where required.
11. So how exactly do you get this sewed-face look? It looks painful but the trick just makes it painless. As mentioned before, apply liquid latex on your face to make it look like fake skins, then blow dry it to make it form as per your wishes. Once the fake skin has taken shape, use make-up to give it this gory touch.
12. Follow the instructions already mentioned above and modify your look to this green-eyed zombie. Using several coats of liquid latex will help give your face this uneven and skin ripped finish. Suit the spirit of Halloween and smear the fake skin with blood-red color.
13. Yet another simple make-up routine you could go with to give yourself that skeletal look. Use black make-up and chalk the skeletal features across the head and neck. The sight of you in the dark will make any onlooker queasy.
14. Probably a look straight out of sleepy hollow, this mask cum make up will certainly make you enter into the true spirit of Halloween.
15. There is nothing gorier than wearing make-up that makes it look like the skin around your eyes is ripped and help by pins where as your mouth shredded to form the effect it displays. Using liquid latex is the trick and adding detail to it with the help of the make-up is just going to make you look rad amongst other party goers. Although, if you want to have this mask on all day then be prepared to skip a few meals and ready yourself to sip off a straw at all times.
16. Sticking a zip on your face using liquid latex should be the first step. After that, using latex-makeup combo should help you get this finish. Use natural acrylic nails that have been filed square for the teeth and liquid latex to help it stick and cover the gaps. This unzipped zombie face is sure to create quite a stir on Halloween’s.
17. If you do this well enough, then just the make-up will help you gain this 3D effect. For sure your fellow party goers are going to be bitten by your look. If the movie Jaws didn’t tickle them into a fright then your make-up certainly will.
18. As usual, me being a fan of the Batman series, nothing is cooler than going out for Halloween’s looking like two-face. As compared to the other make-up designs, this is pretty simple. Use acrylic nails for the teeth and apply vampire blood color you get at the store to give one side of your face this ghastly touch.
19. This is one costume mask that you need to be very careful about, after all, for god sakes it has blades sticking out of your face!! Use coats of liquid latex and stick the blades on when not on your face. Use make-up to add that gory touch and last of all and most importantly, if you choose this mask for this Halloween, then say no to romance!! Else…..
20. Pretty simple, not complex yet it delivers the feel of Halloween’s to the optimum. Dabble greyish-white makeup across your upper body; get that vampire red contact lenses on and spread black eye-liner around your lids and on your eyebrows and make a scarily-sexy vampire.
21. The first thing parents show their kids on TV is probably Disney cartoons, but the last thing they would want them to see is this Disney character. This Halloween look will make anyone disconcert, but Hey… after all it is Halloween’s.
22. Combine black and red to get this finish or purchase vampire blood from a party store to get this look. Most importantly, maintain that petrified and dilated-eye stare throughout the day for best results.
23. Using coats of liquid latex is certainly going to give you this jagged skin look. Use your artistic touch with make-up to give it that bloody hue. A look such as this will certainly wake the dead on the Celtic feast of the harvest.
24. Liquid latex is certainly going to help with the finishing touches, and if your wish this Halloween’s is to look like a doped zombie, then here you go… look no further.
25. Don’t worry, you do not have to go bald for this look. Purchase the latex bald scalp from the store and fix the spikes as to how you want it, although greetings your friends with a hug might give them a bloody-blind eye.