You may remember for her steamy lovemaking and smooching scenes from the erotica film ‘Hate Story 2’ but there is more to Surveen Chawla than being just a bold and sexy actress! Standing tall at 5’6”, this Punjabi kudi from Chandigarh first started her career as a television actor. She did several noteworthy roles in hit television series like, ‘Kahin To Hoga, ‘Kasauti Zindagi Ki’ and ‘Kaajjal’ before making the big leap and stepping into the world of cinema. Interestingly, unlike other actors who constrain themselves to a single industry, Surveen has managed to find work everywhere, including Tamil, Telegu, Kannada, Hindi and Punjabi film industries. Though, an established actress today, Surveen, did not dream of hitting the big screen as a child. In fact, she aimed to become a doctor and heal the society. In her more than decade long career as an actor, Surveen’s life has had several challenges and controversies.
Surveen Chawla was born on July 16, 1984 in Chandigarh. Her family comprises of her parents and a brother. As a child, Surveen wanted to become a doctor. She wanted to serve the society by acting as a healer. However, fate had something else in store for this charmingly, beautiful lady that she was turning into! Surveen graduated in English from Chandigarh College for Women. She later on turned to modelling and acting. In pursuit of her new found passion, Surveen relocated to Mumbai – the city that serves as the base of the entertainment industry of India.
In the Land of Opportunities!
You know it when someone is a gifted actor – work finds its way to them. Surveen was not just gifted but lucky as well. At a time when models and to-be-actors struggle for months and sometimes, even years to get a five-second frame in front of camera, Surveen’s struggle period lasted for merely three days! Yes, you read it right! On the fourth day, the pretty damsel had earned herself a role in the daily soap opera, ‘Kahin To Hoga’
Unlike most actors who work either for television or films, Surveen is one of those rare gems who have made a space of her own in both films and television. She started her journey to fame as an actor in television and soon progressed to the big screen. Take a sneak peak at her career graph.
Surveen’s first screen appearance was as Charu in the television series, ‘Kahin To Hoga’. In 2004, she bagged herself a role in the hit Ekta Kapoor production series, ‘Kasauti Zindagi Ki’. Two years later, she played the role of a protagonist for the television series, ‘Kaajjal’. The show lasted for a year until 2007. In 2008, Surveen partnered with cricketer S Sreesanth for the reality show, ‘Ek Khiladi Ek Haseena’. She also hosted the television show ‘Comedy Circus Ke Superstars’. Currently, Surveen has her hands full with two television series, the ninth season of the reality show ‘Jhalak Dikhlaa Jaa’ wherein she is a contestant and season 2 of crime-thriller, ‘24’ in which she dons the role of Maya, Agent Jai Singh Rathod’s love interest.
In Regional Films
Surveen’s tryst to enter the world of films led her to South Indian film industry. Therein, she got her first break in 2008 for a Kannada film, ‘Paramesha Panwala’. Post that, she was casted in a Telegu film before returning to her native city, Chandigarh for an explosive debut in the Punjabi film industry for the flick, ‘Dharti’ in 2011. The movie won her Best Debutante award. The early success led her bag several Punjabi films, including ‘Taur Mittran Di’, ‘Saadi Love Story’, ‘Singh vs Kaur’, ‘Lucky Di Unlucky Story’ and ‘Disco Singh’. In 2013, she appeared in two Tamil films, ‘Moondru Per Moondru Kadhal’ and ‘Puthiya Thiruppangal’.
Surveen was several television series and a couple of regional films old when she found herself a cameo role in the Bollywood movie, ‘Hum Tum Shabana’ as Shabana. Though the appearance did nothing much to boost her career, it did kick-start her journey in Bollywood. Two years later, in 2013, she donned the role of Rakhi Malhotra for the Anurag Kashyap thriller ‘Ugly’. Same year, she made a special appearance for the song, ‘Dhokha Dhokha’ for Sajid Khan film, ‘Himmatwala’.
Surveen’s biggest breakthrough came with Vishal Pandya’s erotic thriller, ‘Hate Story 2’. The film had her play a girl who was abused physically and mentally. Her character was involved in taking revenge with all those who abused her and killed her boyfriend, Akshay Bedi. Though the movie was a hit, it led to typecast her as an actor of erotic films. She had soon realized that she needed to prove her mettle in other genres as well. After special appearances in songs like Sawan Aaya Hai in the movie ‘Creature 3D’ and ‘Tutti Bole Marriage Di’ in the movie ‘Welcome Back’, she has recently featured in ‘Parched’ as Bijli. Her performance in ‘Parched’ has earned her huge critical acclaim.
Her Life Challenges & Controversies!
- It is said that after the release of her film ‘Hate Story 2’, her parents were really annoyed with her for her bold scenes. Though Surveen denies of all such report, rumour mills state otherwise.
- Not many know that after shooting ‘Hate Story 2’, Surveen went through a period of emotional stress and nervous breakdown. While shooting for one sequence involving sexual violation, she had become so involved in the character that she had a feeling as though the experience was actually happening to her. The feeling of pain, agony and torture that she had to portray came out in real. She said that it took her several weeks to come out of the situation.
- With the current trend of actors blatantly speaking about the casting couch, one thing that is certain for sure is that it exists. Like several actors who have been a victim to it, Surveen Chawla claims to be one of them. She faced the same in Tamil film industry. While shooting for a film, the director of her film had his friend call her and make the offer to sleep with him. She revealed that the director’s friend told her that it would only be until the film was completed.
- Surveen lived in a paying guest accommodation during her struggling days. The nature of her work involved working at odd hours of the day and night. Surveen has claimed that once while returning from shoot, she was literally thrown out of the house, in the middle of the night.
- Surveen claims that she had a tough time after Hate Story 2. She only received offers involving other eroticas, but rejected them all. As such, she had no work at all. All that she was surrounded with was insecurity and uncertainty.
- Surveen is said to have romantic relationship with TV actors Apurva Agnihotri, Gaurav Chopra and cricketer S Sreesanth before eventually getting engaged to owner of The Earth Pharmacueticals, Vittal Dhiman, her fiancé.
Some Life Facts
- Surveen loves to be stylish and fashionable. The chic from Chandigarh also has her own clothing line named ‘Contemporary Dupatta’, which she operates with her mother.
- She is a fan of the Star World television series, ‘Sherlock’ and thinks of it as the best series ever made. She also loves watching ‘Entourage’.
- While Amitabh Bachchan and Paresh Rawal are Surveen’s favourite male actors, Rani Mukherjee is her favourite female actor.